Thursday 2 November 2017

The 3 Rarely Understood Aspects of Employee Management


If you are wondering what employee management really means, you are not alone. After scouring the internet for hours, I found that there is a lot of confusion over what Employee management really means. The most common definition I found was - Employee management is looking after the day to day activities performed by the employees to help achieve organizational goals.

I was not satisfied by that definition because some of the results shown to me were tips for managers to be effective, others were about HR and still others were about systems. But it doesn’t really answer the question of how the work is done? What is it that your people spend most of their time doing during in the business hours? How do what your employees do translate to the goals of your organization?

My search led me to the answer that employee management is really about being able to answer these questions because at the heart of employee management is the ability to know at a high level as to how work is being done, who is responsible for a project and how that translates into achievement of your organizational goals at any given time.

To give an example from my work here at StarGarden, when I was originally hired, my manager gave me a set of projects she had in mind for me to do. After an initial introduction to the people, processes and systems at the organization, I started trying to get some of the projects done. My time would be spent thinking of dependencies, learning and keeping myself on track to deliver these projects within the deadlines. I’m sure there is a version of this that you do at your organization.

Source: https://www.stargarden.com/blog/ArticleID/332/The-3-Rarely-Understood-Aspects-of-Employee-Management

No comments:

Post a Comment